Evacuation

Evacuation during the Second World War

Evacuees at Shendish. In 1941

DACHT : 62.12.25. Evacuees at Shendish. In 1941, John Dickinson’s accommodated the children of their employees from their Tottenham branch at Shendish House.

Father Christmas distributing presents to evacuees in Albert Street, Tring

DACHT : 1220.10. Father Christmas distributing presents to evacuees in Albert Street, Tring, in 1939. Many entertainments were provided for the children at Christmas, throughout the area. School holidays were staggered to enable teachers to supervise evacuated children continuously.
Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust

The Hoo, Great Gaddesden, in 1944

DACHT : 2313. The Hoo, Great Gaddesden, in 1944, when it was being used as a maternity home.
Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust

Before the outbreak of war, the Government had made plans to evacuate children and mothers with babies from large cities to the countryside.

Crowded cities would be the target of air attacks from German bombers, especially factories, power stations and military stations.

The Government decided to remove children from these areas of danger and move them to safer areas, known as reception areas. Dacorum was designated as a suitable reception area.

Nurse Blatchford who worked at The Hoo Maternity Home in Great Gaddesden

DACHT : 939.01. Nurse Blatchford who worked at The Hoo Maternity Home in Great Gaddesden. Expectant mothers were evacuated from London to maternity homes which had been established at The Hoo as well as Home Farm in Ting and Grimsdyke in Berkhamsted. A total of 1,270 babies were born at The Hoo.
Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust


Even some of the London statues were thought to be safer in Berkhamsted.

A number of figures, including George III and Field Marshal Lord Wolseley, were removed from their usual homes of St James’s Square and Horse Guards Parade and taken to the safety of Berkhamsted Castle.

By Dacorum Heritage Trust

The Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd.

The Museum Store, Clarence Road, Berkhamsted, Herts HP4 3YL

Telephone/Fax 01442 879525   Email info@dacorumheritage.org.uk

Registered in England No. 2851313 | Registered Charity No. 1026161 | Accredited Museum No. 1594 | Status: Fully accredited museum.