In May 1940, Winston Churchill changed the name of the LDV to the ‘Home Guard’. Members were at first issued with denim uniforms, which were later replaced by khaki uniforms. These new uniforms and associated equipment gave a more professional appearance.
Older men who had not been ‘called up’ for active service could join the Home Guard. The organisation was often referred to as ‘Dad’s Army’, as the majority of men were over 50 and many had fought in the First World War. By 1942, it was made compulsory for all men aged between 18 and 51 who were not already serving, to join in areas where more recruits were needed.
Home Guard Platoons were organised throughout Dacorum and there were observer posts at King Langley, Berkhamsted and Markyate. These posts monitored enemy aircraft and particularly looked out for parachutists, who may have signalled the beginning of an invasion.
Mr Kirk, the ARP Controller for the borough of Dacorum, reported that in six years there had been a total of 828 air raid warnings, during which 90 high explosives bombs and 350 incendiary bombs fell on the town.
By the Dacorum Heritage Trust