The Inns of Court OTC Regiment

The Devil’s Own was the proud nickname of the Inns of Court.

The Devil’s Own was the proud nickname of the Inns of Court.
Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust

Inns Court in training

The countryside around the town offered a varied terrain for the soldiers to practise all the different elements of warfare.

Full scale battalion exercises

Full scale battalion exercises were at first held twice and then later once a week with over 13,000 yards of trenches being excavated on the Common.
Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust

Postcard showing the arms of the Inns of Court.

Postcard showing the arms of the Inns of Court.
Picture: Dacorum Heritage Trust

The Inns of Court Training Corps were based in Berkhamsted during the First World War. The Inns of Court OTC was originally part of the London Territorial Force and consisted mainly of men connected with the law courts.

The Corps came to Berkhamsted in September 1914 and did not leave until June 1919. Both cavalry and infantry came to the town although at the time, the cavalry only had one horse! Around 14,000 men passed through the Corps with over 11,000 gaining commissions.

Three Victoria Crosses were awarded, besides numerous other decorations.

A total of 2,147 men lost their lives and are commemorated on a memorial on Berkhamsted Common where they carried out so many manoeuvres.

By the Dacorum Heritage Trust

The Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd.

The Museum Store, Clarence Road, Berkhamsted, Herts HP4 3YL

Telephone/Fax 01442 879525   Email info@dacorumheritage.org.uk

Registered in England No. 2851313 | Registered Charity No. 1026161 | Accredited Museum No. 1594 | Status: Fully accredited museum.