The Inns of Court Training Corp

Originally part of the London Territorial Force, the Officer Training Corps (OTC) consisted mainly of men connected with the law courts.  The men came to Berkhamsted in September 1914 and trained in trench warfare.

Both cavalry and infantry came to the town although, at the time, the cavalry only had one horse.  The Corps did not leave until June 1919.

The countryside around the town offered a varied terrain for the soldiers to practise all the different elements of warfare.  Full scale battalion exercises were at first held twice and then later once a week with over 13,000 yards of trenches being excavated on the common.  Evidence of these trenches can still be seen today.

A total of 2,147 out of around 14,000 men who passed through the Corps lost their lives. A memorial stands at the top of New Road, close to where they carried out so many of their manoeuvres.

The Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd.

The Museum Store, Clarence Road, Berkhamsted, Herts HP4 3YL

Telephone/Fax 01442 879525   Email info@dacorumheritage.org.uk

Registered in England No. 2851313 | Registered Charity No. 1026161 | Accredited Museum No. 1594 | Status: Fully accredited museum.