William Bailey

Below is a collection of paintings showing industry in the Berkhamsted area, produced by William Bailey.  William was a litho printer who worked for many years at Clunbury Press.  One of his jobs was to print Cooper sheep dip wrappers in various languages including Arabic, German, Icelandic, Turkish and Russian.

Cooper’s, major source of local employment, was created in 1843 by William Cooper, a veterinary surgeon who established his company in Berkhamsted.  He began to manufacture and sell his own sheep dip powder.  By 1900, Cooper’s had a worldwide presence including Argentina, Africa and Australia.  The Company merged with McDougall & Robertson Ltd in 1925 to form Cooper McDougall & Robertson Ltd and was acquired by the Wellcome Foundation in 1959.

391385

Trimming Bristles at Nash Brush Works, George Street.

 

THE DACORUM HERITAGE TRUST

The Brewery, Water Lane

THE DACORUM HERITAGE TRUST

Key’s Timber importers.

THE DACORUM HERITAGE TRUST

Bringing timber from Hockridge Woods

DACORUMHERITAGETRUST

Kempster’s Forge

DACORUM HERITAGE TRUST

Mr King a Bootmender, George Street.

The Berkhamsted Local History and Museum Society cared for by The Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd

The Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd.

The Museum Store, Clarence Road, Berkhamsted, Herts HP4 3YL

Telephone/Fax 01442 879525   Email info@dacorumheritage.org.uk

Registered in England No. 2851313 | Registered Charity No. 1026161 | Accredited Museum No. 1594 | Status: Fully accredited museum.