Capturing Nature in Dacorum’s Architecture
Bringing Dacorum communities together when we have to remain apart.
Nature has played a huge part in architecture throughout history and has shaped the form of buildings since prehistoric times to the modern day. Buildings often mirror the structure of the natural world and are sometimes decorated to resemble the beauty of it too.
If we look closely we can see the hidden nature in the architecture in our towns and villages all over the borough of Dacorum.
This year we’re inviting you to explore the towns and villages of Dacorum during the Heritage Open Days between the 11th – 20th of September and get creative with your cameras.
You’ll be able to rediscover the hidden nature in the built heritage of Dacorum through the art of photography, seeking out nature inspired designs all around you. These could be decorative details or whole buildings, including our schools, workplaces, homes, shops and community spaces.
Please send us your hidden nature images If you’d like the chance to see your entries featured on social media, on our website or in an exhibition!
How to enter:
- Explore your Dacorum and snap some images of nature inspired architecture. These can be close up details or whole buildings, it’s your choice!
- Send digital images (best quality you can manage) to us at email@example.com with ‘Capturing Nature’ in the subject line of the email
- Please include your name, the town or village you live in as well as the story behind your picture, where it is and why you chose it – The more historical facts the better!
- If you can, please post your images on your social media using the hashtag #capturingnatureindacorum and tag us on Twitter – @dacorumheritage – Facebook – @DacorumHeritage Trust – Instagram – @dacorumheritagetrust
- You can also tag Heritage Open Days by using the hashtag #heritageopendays and tagging them on all social medias with @heritageopendays
Important things to think about before you get started:
If you’re under 16 please make sure you’re accompanied by an adult
Please ensure you follow government COVID-19 guidance
Please ask permission if you’re taking images of people’s houses or the inside of anyone else’s property
Visit https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/ to learn more about the wonderful nationwide festival of historical and cultural events taking place this September
Due to COVID-19 all other Events have been cancelled.
Unfortunately all the exhibitions, workshops, talks, family events and museum store tours planned for 2020 have been cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions. We are working behind the scenes to plan an engaging programme of activities across the borough as soon as it is safe for us to do so. Please do return to this space for updates or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with the latest news.
If you’d like to be directly notified of future events sign up to our newsletter here.